10.21.2015

Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup

It's that time of year again! Time to bust out my favorite soup recipe!
But since I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, I have had to make some major changes to my diet. Here's an update to my original recipe. I can barely tell the difference! Still super delicious. I think you'll agree.



Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup

• 2 T extra virgin olive oil

• 1 T coconut oil
• 2 large sweet onions, chopped
• 4 tsp curry powder (more or less as you prefer)
• 2 large butternut squash
• 3 sweet apples, cored, peeled, cut into chunks

• 1 Granny Smith apple for garnish
• 4 cups (one package) Trader Joe's vegetable broth
• 2 cups apple cider or juice
• kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Wash and halve squash. (I ask the produce person at the grocery store to cut my squash in half for me. SO much easier than doing it myself.)

Remove seeds. Bake flat side down in greased baking dish with about 1/4" of water at 400° until almost soft, about 35 minutes.
Cool slightly and scoop squash from skin. Discard skin. Save pan juices if there are any.


Melt coconut oil with olive oil in a large stock pot.

Add onions, and curry powder and sauté for 10 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning or sticking.
Cover pot and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes until onions are soft.
Add the squash, pan juices, apples and stock to the pot. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Add apple cider.

Puree the soup right in the cooking pot using a stick blender. (If you don't have a stick blender, trust me, you need one. This is my favorite kitchen gadget. Alternatively you can transfer the soup to a food processor to puree.)

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot, garnished with finely chopped granny smith apples.

Freezes well.

Mmmmm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment