3.25.2013

My New Favorite Passover Tsimmes Recipe

I have made Tsimmes for years, but I rarely use exactly the same recipe.
Being a non-meat eater, I never make it with meat, of course. And though I love white potatoes, somehow I just don't want them in my Tsimmes!

What I do want is the perfect balance of sweet, tangy and fruity. (And the dried fruit is a welcome addition to combat the number that all of the havoc that matzoh wreaks on one's constitution, if you get my drift.)

So I spent some time collecting various Tsimmes recipes and wound up combining ideas from about 3 different ones. How did it turn out? Well, it sure is pretty.
I'll let you know what the verdict is after the seder tonight.

Post Seder Update:
Yum!  I believe it was unanimous. This recipe is a keeper. I will be making this one again.
If you try it, do let me know if you agree! 

PassoverTzimmes 
(sweet potato casserole)

Serves 8
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
  • 4 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 medium acorn squash peeled, seeded and cut into large chunks
  • 2 Tablespoons butter (or oil if making pareve)
  • 1 cup bite-size pitted dates 
  • 1 cup dried unsulphured apricots
  • 1 cup pitted prunes
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced 
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juce
  • 1/8 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
  • sprinkle of fresh ground pepper
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water just to cover. Bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add carrots and acorn squash and simmer another 10 minutes until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Drain in a colander, and set aside until cool.
  2. Melt butter in a large saute pan, add fruit, brown sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice and simmer for a minute or two, just until the mixture is heated. Mix with potatoes and carrots. Add remaining ingredients. Toss gently until mixed, and transfer to a 2-quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
  3. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, basting with pan juices after 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment