7.12.2012

Not A Dried Leaf!

I was photographing a seaglass bracelet on my deck this morning when I spotted what I thought was a dried brown leaf on the window sill.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that the leaf was a really large moth. (Like butterfly large. Sorry there's nothing in my photos to give an idea of scale. This guy's wingspan was about 3" across!) A little bit scary actually, though I don't really fear moths, except for what they tend to do to my favorite sweaters when I'm not looking.
Pretty sure this is what's called a Blinded Sphinx Moth or Paonias Excaecata. (Correct me if I'm wrong, lepidopterists.)
Great camouflage for the woods. Ah, nature. You know what you are doing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe this is a Brown Scoopwing, Calledapteryx dryopterata.

It's definitely not a sphinx moth of any variety.

SToNZ said...

Ah! Thank you for the correction!

Anonymous said...

we saw the same moth today we thought it was a leaf at first very big and colourful underwings its sitting on our right now very docile been there 8 hours

Anonymous said...

Brown scoopwings have no colorful underwings. This photo shows a blinded sphinx moth - based on the wing markings and shape. If it was fully opened you would see the pink areas and the "eye" markings.

SToNZ said...

So I was right?!
:)

Post a Comment